Faith Communities Study Logo

Faith Communities Study Logo
Faith Communities Study Logo

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Research Update #12: It's a marathon, not a sprint

Well I am saddened to realize that I had not updated this blog in almost a year!! The truth of the matter is, this study has been a slow trickle of work rather than a monstrous waterfall. Even though the stories and lived experiences shared with me from your interviews felt like a waterfall of information, it has taken quite some time to sift through it all in a way that I feel most adequately honors your stories.

For the sake of continuity, I'll give you a snapshot of what the past year has looked like for this project:

  • Began work on initial coding of transcripts. Noted multiple transcription errors so egregious that they warranted a second listen to triple check the transcripts for accuracy. This took the remainder of the summer to complete. 
  • Resumed work on initial coding of transcripts, but a member of the research team left the institution and this left me with a need to replace that person's role in the research process. I successfully recruited someone else, and had to catch that person up to speed on the project. 
  • We resumed a more rigorous coding schedule in early 2018, aiming to finish by March and submit a manuscript for review by May. 
  • Encountered multiple setbacks due to the software we were using to organize the data. I left this project on the back burner so I could attend to more urgent matters.
  • Now that it's summer again, I am resuming an optimistic coding schedule so I can make up for lost time, and hope to finish coding by the middle of June. Then perhaps we can submit a manuscript by late July or early August. 
With all of that said, I'm going to jump back into the coding so that I don't get sidetracked! I will still post updates on my Twitter feed, so be sure to check there for additional details of the analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment